Book Cover and Author Head shots: photographed by
Brandy Somers Photography
Memory Chose a Woman’s Body is a poetic memoir, one woman’s harrowing yet hopeful story of harm and healing. The poems, each powerful as stand-alone works, are a journey of self-discovery, an epic tale of finding one’s way and voice. Angela M Carter navigates uninviting terrain with the skill and grace of a veteran truth teller. Memory Chose a Woman’s Body is a ray of cleansing light directed at the dark corners of the human heart. It is an offering of sisterhood to survivors of all kinds.
ANGELA M CARTER has been a writer since the age of eight. What began as an escape from the events of her childhood became a way of life. Angela writes about subjects many people are uncomfortable talking about. Each of her poems is its own story, yet they all carry the same message: silence is not golden. Born and raised in a Virginia farming town with a population of fewer than 280 souls, Angela moved to England for several years only to find her memories followed her. She returned to Virginia with new-found confidence and a voice. She has been speaking with that voice ever since. Angela is a wife and mother and she believes that had it not been for poetry she would not be either of those things. She believes that poetry saved her life.
- When Depression Stalks Your Mind. The Mighty. August 29, 2016.
- Scratching Against the Fabric: anthology. Two poems: Splinter, Woman at Auction House. September 2015.
- Trajectory Path: Silver Birch Press. Me, As a Child series. May 2015.
- Their Own Bare Hands: June 2015. Anthology. Poems: I Suppose and Woman Child.
- Deep Water Literary Journal: Ireland. February 2015. Poem publication: The Difference Between Waking Up and Living
- Gutsy Story Anthology: Inspirational Short Stories About Taking Chances and Changing Your Life (Volume 2): Poetry Saved My Life: A story about how the arts can help save our lives.
- City Lit Rag. Fall Issue, 2014. Poem publication: Point This Out.
- Whurk: Issue 20. October 2014 issue. Page 4. Poem, photo and book information.
- Scratching Against the Fabric: (print), an anthology of poems, Fall 2014
- Vox Poetica: Circle of Hope (July 31, 2014)
- Unbound Content: Memory Chose A Woman’s Body
- Gutsy Living Fall 2014 Anthology (print): Sometimes we Have to Save Ourselves: How Poetry Saved my Life
- Our Stories Untold: It’s Never Too Late : April 21, 2014 (article and poem)
- At the Inkwell-NYC Blog: April 21, 2014 (Interview and video)
- Premiere Generation Ink: Silence
- Eastern Mennonite University (2011) The Phoenix-Poetry Chapbook
- The Word Ocean Southern Drought and Hunting Season
- Worst Week Ever Edition 2: Rubbish” and To Heathrow, or Bust – pages 41-43
- Worst Week Ever Edition 3: Thanks for Not Understanding and Internal Compass in the Night